What is Rehabilitation Psychology?
Rehabilitation psychology is a system of interventions that aims to empower individuals who are coping with chronic illness, have experienced a traumatic injury, or are adjusting to a new medical diagnosis.
How do I know if I need Rehabilitation Psychology?
Here are some of the conditions that lead to people seeking rehabilitation psychology:
- Brain Injury
- Chronic diseases like multiple sclerosis and Lyme disease
- Chronic fatigue/pain
- Dementing conditions
How can Rehabilitation Psychology help me?
- Manage physical pain and adjust to new physical limitations
- Cope with grief and loss
- Plan return-to-work/school, including modified schedules
- Enhance my cognitive abilities (e.g., memory, organization, planning, focusing)
- Gain greater independence and choice
- Increase my ability to do tasks of daily living (chores, work, school, etc)
- Participate in a wider range of social activities
- Cope with difficulties across the lifespan