What is Performance Anxiety?
Performance anxiety is when there’s something you need to do that will be evaluated by others, and the thought of doing it makes you so nervous, worried, anxious, or uncomfortable that you have bothersome physical sensations, and the urge to avoid. Bothersome sensations can include things like sweating, racing thoughts, heart palpitations, dry mouth, feeling faint, or even full-blown panic attacks (link to panic attacks).
Things such as public speaking or submitting an important presentation can trigger performance anxiety in the workplace.
What are the signs of Performance Anxiety?
Performance anxiety can look like…
- Overcompensating – putting in way more effort than is necessary
- Being really hard on yourself and focusing more on your mistakes than your successes
- Upwards comparisons – only comparing yourself to people who seem to be doing things better than you
- Re-doing things many times because it’s never “good enough”
- Feeling like an imposter even though you are qualified
- Avoiding things that you might not be good at
- Fear of making mistakes
Speaking to a professional Coach to overcome your performance anxiety can help you to…
- Show yourself some compassion and not be overly demanding with yourself
- Be able to try new things, or face challenging situations instead of avoiding them
- Complete difficult tasks, and in a timely manner
- Find settings and tasks that highlight your strengths
- Boost your confidence and self-esteem
Learn about other Specialty Services
Addictions ADHD Adjustment Disorder Agoraphobia Alexithymia Anger Management Anger Management - Court Ordered Anorexia Nervosa Anticipatory Grief Anxiety Disorders Asexuality and Aromanticism Assertiveness Attachment Disorders Attachment in Adults Atypical Sexuality Autism Spectrum Disorder Bipolar Disorder Body Dysmorphic Disorder Borderline Personality Disorder Bulimia Nervosa Bullying and Cyberbullying Burnout Christian Counselling Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Chronic Pain Management Communication Skills Compulsive Lying Conduct Disorder Dependent Personality Disorder Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder Depression Dermatophagia Dissociative Fugue Dyspareunia Eating Disorders Emotion Dysregulation Emotionally-based Sexual Difficulties Enuresis or Bedwetting Erectile Dysfunction Fertility Issues Gambling Gender Identity Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Grief & Loss Health Anxiety Healthy Boundaries Hoarding Illness in Adults Illness in Children and Teens Impostor Syndrome Insomnia and Parasomnia Intellectual Disabilities Interpersonal Relationships Leadership Learning Disorders LGBTQ+ Support Life Transitions Managerial Courage Mood Disorders Moral Injury Motivation Narcissistic Abuse Survivors Narcissistic Personality Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder OCD Oppositional Defiant Disorder Panic Attacks Parenting Skills Perfectionism Performance Anxiety Personal Growth Personality Disorders Phobias Postpartum Anxiety Postpartum Depression Pre-Marital Counselling Pregnancy and Motherhood Premature and Delayed Ejaculation Problem-Solving Skills Procrastination Psychosis Psychosocial Oncology PTSD Racism and Discrimination Re-Kindle Love Refugee and Immigration Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Selective Mutism Self-Esteem Self-Sabotage Separation or Divorce Sexual Addiction Sexual Concerns Sleep Disorders Social Anxiety Stress Management Surviving Abuse Time Management and Organization Tinnitus Tourette Syndrome Transgender Vaginismus Video Game Addiction Work Concerns