Psychologists and therapists offering this service
What is Emotion Dysregulation?
Emotion dysregulation refers to a difficulty managing intense or painful emotions. Once triggered by an upsetting event, someone with trouble regulating emotions may engage in coping behaviours that appear drastic, unhealthy, or disproportionate to the situation. Below are some ways that people may act when having trouble modulating intense emotions:
- Angry outbursts
- Impulsive actions
- Aggressive behaviour
- Passive-aggressive behaviour
- Suicidal threats or gestures
- Crying, yelling, screaming
- Creation of conflict or chaos
Is Emotion Dysregulation the same thing as Borderline Personality Disorder?
While emotion dysregulation is a key feature of Borderline Personality Disorder, difficulty regulating emotions can appear across a variety of conditions, such as ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Anxiety Disorders.
Therapy for Emotion Dysregulation can help yo to…
- Identify and understand what you are feeling and why
- Help you to express and/or soothe intense emotions in a healthy way
- Communicate feelings assertively to others
- Resolve conflicts constructively
- Receive criticism more smoothly
- Maintain valuable relationships
- Enhance your self-esteem
Learn about other Specialty Services
Do you think a loved one could benefit from reading this?
Click the box below to copy the URL and share it using your favorite method (Email, Facebook Messenger, SMS, etc).