How many sessions are needed?
The length of individual therapy depends on your needs, resources, motivation, and goals for therapy. When determining the length of therapy it is important to consider:
- How long have you had the problem?
- How many goals do you want to achieve?
- How complex are the goals?
- What resources and sources of support are available to help you reach your goals?
- How motivated are you to work towards your goals during the therapy sessions, and also between therapy sessions?
Therapy can have ups and downs, and some sessions can feel more useful than others. The important thing is to feel like overall, you are moving in the right direction. It is kind of like planting seeds in garden. If you check the garden every 15 minutes, you may not notice that many changes. However, over time, you should start to notice some meaningful changes taking place.